A residential building belonging to Mr. Hassan Zekeri of the Investigation and Surveillance Unit of Federal Polytechnic, Auchi has been razed by fire.
The incident occurred at Ugieda in Etsako West Local Government of Edo State.
The inferno which was caused by gas explosion was said to have occurred around 7:PM on Sunday destroying properties worth millions of naira. Several occupants caught in the raging fire were burnt beyond recognition.
Recounting the ugly incident, Mr Hassan Zekeri told this blog in a WhatsApp chat:
“The fire originated from a gas cooker in my wife’s shop and one of the boys who was assisting to extinguish the fire mistakenly poured fuel from a jerrycan on the fire thinking it was water in the process several persons sustained various degree of injuries.”
He said that the victims are currently receiving treatment at an undisclosed hospital.