Edo: NAFPOR Warns of Potential Chaos as LG Chairmen Prepare to Resume Duty

Share This Now!

From Moshood Karim

The Nigeria Association for Public Opinion Research (NAFPOR) has issued a stern warning regarding the rising tensions in Edo State as democratically elected Local Government Chairmen are set to resume office on Monday.

The group cautioned that if key security officials, including President Bola Tinubu, the Inspector General of Police (IGP), and the Department of State Services (DSS), fail to act decisively, there could be a repeat of the violence and destruction witnessed in Rivers State earlier this year.

 

According to NAFPOR, an investigation into the escalating situation has revealed a significant threat to public safety, with thugs reportedly mobilising across the State’s 18 local government secretariats. The research body expressed grave concerns that if these security breaches are not urgently addressed, the local government offices could be set ablaze and several lives could be lost.

 

NAFPOR’s National Publicity Secretary, Ufuoma Okiokpa, emphasised the critical need for immediate intervention by the federal government and security agencies.

ALSO READ:  Chief Oghiadomhe Rejoices with Governor Obaseki on his Victory at the Appeal Court

“The silence from President Tinubu and the Inspector General of Police is not only worrying but potentially catastrophic for the peace of Edo State. Our investigation has found evidence that the situation is escalating, and if the right security measures are not swiftly enacted, we may face destruction of government properties and tragic loss of lives,” Okiokpa said in a statement issued today in Lagos.

 

This crisis stems from the recent suspension of the elected Local Government Chairmen by the Edo State Governor and the State House of Assembly, a move that has been declared illegal by both the Attorney General of the Federation (AGF) and the Benin High Court. Despite the ruling, the suspended Chairmen are determined to resume their duties, a decision that has triggered violent opposition from those vying to take over their positions.

 

NAFPOR has called on the federal government, particularly the IGP, to take preventive action to safeguard public order. The group pointed to the deadly consequences of delayed police action in Rivers State, where similar incidents of council office destruction were reported after law enforcement failed to act promptly.

ALSO READ:  Benin Kingdom Embraces Tradition as Oba Ewuare II Ushers in 2024 Igue Festival

 

“The on-going threats, including death threats against Chairmen and their aides, are a stark reminder of how quickly the situation could spiral out of control. Security agencies need to stop the brewing violence before it reaches a breaking point,” said the statement.

 

The research body also warned that the actions of the Edo State Governor and legislators in undermining the autonomy of local councils could set a dangerous precedent for other states, potentially leading to widespread constitutional violations. They stressed that the rule of law must be upheld to ensure that Nigeria’s democracy remains intact.

 

“Should this impunity continue unchecked, we risk creating a national environment where elected officials can be removed at will, and the judiciary’s authority becomes irrelevant,” the statement added.

 

As the situation in Edo State grows more tense, local government workers are reportedly fleeing the area out of fear for their safety, with thugs already reported in areas such as Oredo, Etsako East, and Akoko-Edo. NAFPOR urged the police to provide clear assurances of safety to both local government employees and residents, emphasising that this is a critical moment to show commitment to the rule of law and democratic principles.

ALSO READ:  Teacher Arrested for Alleged Murder of Almajiri in Jigawa

 

The group’s final message to Nigerian authorities was clear: “The police cannot afford to remain passive when violence is imminent. This is the time to act, not after the damage has been done.”

Get a premium automobile insurance coverage for your vehicle for as low as #15000 only and claim up to #3,000,000 in damages @Zenith Insurance To signup: WhatsApp/Call: +2349028313757
Share This Now!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *