See What U.S. says it will do against election riggers in Uganda

Share This Now!

 

The United States has said it will take action against anti-democratic forces and human rights abusers in Uganda following Thursday’s general elections in the country.

The U.S. position came in a statement by the Department of State through its spokesperson, Ms Morgan Ortagus, on Saturday.

Ortagus said the government was “deeply troubled” by credible reports of “security force violence” and election irregularities before and during the polls.

She called for independent investigations into the allegations and urged the Ugandan government to hold accountable security agents responsible for violence and abuses.

“The Ugandan people turned out to vote in multi-party national elections on Jan. 14 despite an environment of intimidation and fear.

ALSO READ:  Iranians on streets in solidarity for missile attacks against Isreal

“We are deeply troubled by the many credible reports of security force violence during the pre-election period and election irregularities during the polls.

“We strongly urge independent, credible, impartial, and thorough investigations into these reports and that those responsible be held accountable,” she said.

Earlier on Saturday, Uganda’s Electoral Commission declared long-time President Yoweri Museveni, winner of the disputed presidential election for a sixth term in office.

According to the results, Museveni, 76, secured 58.64 per cent of the total votes to beat his main challenger, Bobi Wine, who trailed with 35 per cent.

Get a premium automobile insurance coverage for your vehicle for as low as #15000 only and claim up to #3,000,000 in damages @Zenith Insurance To signup: WhatsApp/Call: +2349028313757
Share This Now!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *