From Uptown Press Staff
The United States President Donald Trump has signed an executive order to dismantle Voice of America (VOA), a government-funded international broadcaster, accusing it of promoting biased and divisive media coverage.
The order, issued last Friday, calls for the closure of seven government agencies, including the United States Agency for Global Media (USAGM), which oversees VOA, Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, and other publicly funded broadcasters.
“Voice of America has been out of step with America for years. It serves as the Voice for Radical America and has pushed divisive propaganda for years now,” a senior White House official told *Fox News*.
The executive order mandates the reduction or elimination of non-statutory functions within the affected agencies. It also directs the agencies to minimise their operations to only what is required by law.
In a statement, USAGM senior advisor Kari Lake described the agency as “irretrievably broken” and a “burden to the American taxpayer,” branding it a national security risk.
“From top to bottom, this agency is a giant rot. While there are bright spots with talented and dedicated public servants, this is the exception rather than the rule,” Lake said.
Following the order, VOA director Mike Abramowitz confirmed that nearly all 1,300 employees had been placed on paid leave. Staff reportedly received the news via an email from USAGM’s human resources director, Crystal Thomas. Freelancers and international contractors were also notified of a halt in funding, while federal grants for Radio Free Asia and Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty were terminated.
The sweeping directive also impacts several other agencies, including the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service, the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, and the U.S. Interagency Council on Homelessness.
The move has drawn criticism from press freedom advocates, who argue that it undermines independent journalism. However, Trump’s supporters maintain that the overhaul is necessary to eliminate what they view as government-funded propaganda.
Get a premium automobile insurance coverage for your vehicle for as low as #15000 only and claim up to #3,000,000 in damages @Zenith Insurance To signup: WhatsApp/Call: +2349028313757